Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Sri Lanka

 I was born in Sri Lanka and came to the wonderful country of United States at the age of nine. I have learned a lot about the history of Sri Lanka through my parents and by word of mouth. Aside from Sri Lanka being one of the largest tea producers, there is a huge connection in terms of religious and moral values. The main religion in Sri Lanka is Buddhist. Sri Lanka is a very ancient country is still underdeveloped. The country grew up on the preservation of Buddhism, and later grew into wider cultures such as Hinduism and Islam. Many of the religious stories much like the well known Bible is based upon stories which traveled by word of mouth. I will share a story that I learned from a very young age. My parents taught me life meaning through religion. One of the main lessons you learn as a buddhist is the Four Noble Truths. This story breaks down the truth of suffering, truth of the cause of suffering, truth of the end of suffering, and finally the truth of the path that relieves us from suffering. This essentially teaches you to learn from life lessons and how and why humans experience suffering and how to overcome. This can tie into many moral values and other lessons, such as the saying "no pain, no gain". This is just one of several thousands of lessons to be learned from Sri Lanka. 

No comments:

Post a Comment